Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

There’s a Word for That Thing That Made You Think You Were Dying!

I can’t see the point in trying to build up this one or trying to tie it to some anecdote from my life. I’m just surprised and impressed that someone thought to assign a word to this harrowing yet harmless condition.
beeturia (bee-TYOO-ree-ah) — noun: the passing of red or pink urine after eating beets.
And you might have thought that one urine-related word of the week was enough. No, of course not. More urine, I say. Isn’t this particular pee word both handy and awesome? You don’t need to call it “red beet pee,” “the red tide” or “OHMYGOD take me to urgent care I AM DYING!” You can just say, “Oh, I have the beeturia again! I love how it makes bathroom use more interesting,”


Fun for entertaining, too.

According to Wikipedia, only ten and fourteen percent of the population suffer from beeturia. Wikipedia did not say, however, whether there exists a special word to refer to what asparagus does to one’s urine. I think I have a new goal for 2012.

Previous words of the week after the jump.
Word nerd? Subscribe to Back of the Cereal Box’s word-related posts by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment